Recent History and Current Developments
Main Terminal Building
Some of the shopping facilities available on the Level 3 landside area (MM)
The original building on the present site was opened in 1986 with a design capacity of 650,000 passengers per annum. The facilities provided, with some minor alterations, proved adequate until 1995 when Direct Holidays commenced a summer charter operation. Since then, other charter companies (see Airline Information - Schedule and Charter page) have introduced holiday flights which, together with the decision by easyJet to locate its northern base at Liverpool, resulted in further alterations and enlargement of this building. The passenger figures for the last few years clearly demonstrate the continuing need for improving facilities (see passenger figures table at the end of this page or click here )
A major expansion to the terminal building was constructed during 2001/2. This new building has completely enveloped the old terminal which has been modernised to the same standard. The result has been a trebling of the previous floor area. The total cost was in excess of £30 million.
At a Press Conference held
on 2 July 2001 it was announced that, to coincide with the opening of the
new facilities, the airport would be renamed the "Liverpool John Lennon
Airport". A new logo (see photo below) featuring John Lennon's scribbled self-portrait with
the words "above us only sky" taken from his song "Imagine" has been adopted. The Press Conference was attended by his widow, Yoko Ono.
On 15 March 2002 Yoko Ono returned to the airport to officially rename it and also to unveil a 7 foot high bronze statue of John Lennon (see photograph below). She was accompanied by Cherie Booth QC, a distinguished barrister and the wife of Prime Minister, The Right Honourable Tony Blair MP.
On 25 July 2002, the new expanded terminal building was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen who unveiled a commemorative plaque on the Level 2 walkway, close to the John Lennon statue (see photograph below).
Her Majesty the Queen unveils the plaque commemorating her opening the new expanded terminal building. Looking on is airport chairman, Robert Hough. (LJLA)
John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, is presented to the Queen accompanied by the John Lennon statue sculptor, Tom Murphy, left and airport chairman, Robert Hough, right. (LJLA)
A new control tower has been constructed and came into use in January 2002.
Readers who would like to see a photographic record of the construction of the new expanded terminal are recommended to look at the North West Air News website which can be accessed from our "Links to Related Internet Web Sites" page.
The terminal building has been further expanded westwards. Although not intended to be permanent, the alterations have been made to provide a quick solution to increase the departure gate areas and speed up the flow of passengers. New overbridges now serve some of the departure gates and these will take passengers straight down to the aircraft.
An extension to the shopping area has been constructed on Level 3 landside. This has been achieved by building out over the Check-In Desks and this new area is on the left of the second escalator. Most units are already occupied. Space has also been created for more general seating.
A new car park has been constructed to the west, i.e. on the right hand side of the dual carriageway as you approach the airport, and is now in use. It will accommodate over 2000 cars. A noise attenuation bund has been built to help suppress aircraft and vehicle noise from the nearby National Trust's Speke Hall. More bus bays have been built in front of the terminal.
These improvements will allow the passenger throughput to increase to the current permitted maximum 6 million passengers.
The main car park has been extended to accommodate approximately 4000 cars. This car park also has a Drop-off zone and a multi-storey short stay car park which are nearest the terminal building. There is also 2000 space long stay car park, on the opposite side of the dual carriageway (Long Stay 2) . See the Airport Terminal Information page for full details.
In July 2005, the airport became the new home for the "Yellow Submarine", made famous by the Beatles song. This 25 ton structure is located outside the Arrivals area of the terminal building. It was built for the 1984 International Garden Festival in Liverpool by apprentices from the Cammell Laird shipbuilding yard in Birkenhead, now sadly closed.
The "Hampton by Hilton" is directly opposite the Terminal building. - see photograph below.
A new landside freight centre, located off the Hale Road towards the General Aviation area, has been completed and is occupied by TNT.
Aprons and Hangars
A new apron for light aircraft has been constructed at the eastern end of the airfield. Liverpool Flying School and Ravenair have built their own hangars adjacent to this apron.
Old Terminal Building and Hangars
Compare this with the photograph below taken some 43 years earlier on 23 February 1965. The original wings on either side of the front entrance are now obscured by two new wings, built in the same style, to provide additional bedroom accommodation when converted into the hotel. The original terminal was constructed between 1937 and 1939 and was never officially opened due to the impending war.
Also on the apron is a Bristol Britannia which was brought to this site from Kemble in Gloucestershire during 2007. The aircraft was at one time operated by British Eagle, who had a base in Liverpool until they went out of business in 1968, is registered G-ANCF, or "Charlie Fox" for short. The Jetstream Club are currently working on it with the long term aim to restore it as a static exhibit in full British Eagle colours.
More exhibits are expected on the site, space permitting and subject to permission from the Crowne Plaza Hotel, of course.
European Objective One Funding
Liverpool Airport Statistics
Passenger Figures back to 1932...